Comets are not preloaded into Stellarium, but it is quick and easy to load one so you can find where and when you can see a comet in the night sky.
Here are the steps to add a comet to the desktop Stellarium application.
- In the left hand menu, click on the Configuration Window (wrench with a star)
- Click on the Plugins Menu at the top of the window and Solar System Editor in the left hand panel
- Click on the Configure button
- Click on the Solar System tab
- Click on Import orbital elements in MPC format
- Select Comets and in the Select bookmark drop down select Gideon van Buitenen: comets and click Get orbital elements.
- Type in the beginning of the comet name “C/2020” and click the check box of the comet you would like added and click Add objects.
You should now be able to search for and find the comet in Stellarium.
Written by Martin Belan