How to Add a Comet to Stellarium
Comets are not preloaded into Stellarium, but it is quick and easy to load one so you can find where and when you can see a comet in the night sky.
Here are the steps to add a comet to the desktop Stellarium application.
- In the left hand menu, click on the Configuration Window (wrench with a star)
- Click on the Plugins Menu at the top of the window and Solar System Editor in the left hand panel
- Click on the Configure button
- Click on the Solar System tab
- Click on Import orbital elements in MPC format
- Select Comets and in the Select bookmark drop down select Gideon van Buitenen: comets and click Get orbital elements.
- Type in the beginning of the comet name “C/2020” and click the check box of the comet you would like added and click Add objects.
You should now be able to search for and find the comet in Stellarium.
Written by Martin Belan
How to Set Up the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer for a Deep Sky Astrophotography Shoot
Beginning Deep Sky Astrophotography – Planning Your Photo Shoot (DSO Targets)
Deep Sky Astrophotography Tutorial
The Site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. Our affiliates include: Amazon, Skylum Software, Topaz Labs, DxO, Viator, Hotelopia, and Langly Co.
Syed Muhammad Abbas
I want to sech Comet 67p Churyumov Gerasimenko on Stellarium , hence I found your blog , which simple and attrective . I got 100 % result.
Astronomer from Pakistan.
Thank you for the feedback! I’m glad that the blog helped!
Thank you for this post. This was so helpful and worked very well.
whoah this blog is excellent i really like reading your
posts. Keep up the good work! You already know, many individuals are searching round for
this information, you could aid them greatly.
Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say
that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I
hope you write again very soon!
Thank you very much. I used your tips to load the soon to arrive C/2022 E3. Hopefully will be visible.
Thank you very much!