Mirrorless Olympus cameras have a computerized focal-plane shutter unlike DSLRs that use a mirror that flips up prior to taking an exposure.
The number of shutter count actuations is still important on these Olympus mirrorless cameras. Olympus rates the shutter life of the OM-D E-M5 camera at 100,000 shutter actuations. This means that after (or possibly before) 100,000 actuations the shutter may fail and need to be replaced.
Olympus Hidden Menu with Shutter Actuations
Unlike Canon, Olympus has a built in way to tell the number of shutter actuations. Although, it is not necessary easy to get at. Olympus has a hidden menu that is displayed only after a series of button presses and menu selections.
This method to see the number of shutter actuations also works with the PEN series of cameras and the Olympus OM-D camera series. I’ve tested this on the newer Olympus OM-D cameras (E-M1X, E-M10 Mark III, and E-M1 Mark III) and this method to find the shutter actuation count still works.
Steps to Tell the Number of Shutter Actuations on Olympus Cameras
- Start with the Camera Off
- Hold down the menu button and turn the camera on.
- Release the Menu button and press the Menu button again to bring up the menus
- Select LCD Brightness (third selection from the top) in the “Wrench” menu.
- Press the Right Arrow to show the screen adjusters
- Press INFO and then OK. Something like this will appear on your screen OLYMPUS E-M5 02 01 01 01.
- Press the Up Arrow, Down Arrow, Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Shutter Button, and Up Arrow in this order and page 1 of the hidden menu will appear.
- The shutter actuation count is located on page 2. Press the Right Arrow for page 2.
Note for Newer Olympus OM-D Cameras
On newer Olympus OM-D cameras, the LCD Brightness menu is located under the Wrench Menu. The shutter count on Page 2 is prefaced by an MS: instead of an R:
Navigation to Access Other Pages of the Hidden Menu
- Press the Up Arrow for Page 1
- Press the Right Arrow for page 2
- Press the Down Arrow for page 3
- Press the Left Arrow for Page 4
Olympus Shutter Life Expectancy Ratings
Olympus doesn’t publish shutter life expectancy ratings on all of their cameras. Below are the cameras where I could find shutter life expectancy ratings.
- Olympus OM-D E-M1X – 400,000
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III – 400,000
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II – 200,000
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark I – 150,000
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark I – 100,000
Related Blog Posts
The Truth about Checking the Number of Shutter Actuations on a Canon 7d and 5d Mark III DSLRs
ShutterCount – An Easy way to Find the Number of Canon DSLR Shutter Actuations on your Mac?
Travel Light for Photography – Canon 5D Mark III Dual Card Slots